- 4 whole quails
- 2 medium onions
- 3 fresh tomatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut onions into ¾ inch chunks, and place them in an oven pan, forming a bed. Salt and pepper the quails. Arrange them over the bed of onions, then cover oven pan with aluminum foil. Place in oven, bake for 45 mins or until the quails are tender.
Remove the quails from the oven pan. Take the meat off the bones and cut the quail meat into small pieces. Set aside.
Pour and drain the juice and onions left in the oven pan, into a saucepan. Strain and press them. Discard the pressed onions. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Put over high heat for 1 minute stirring frequently. Add the quail meat pieces, and beans, and simmer for 20 minutes.